Wowings  

Go Back   Wowings > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 11-19-2009, 03:36 PM
LVsloper

Default New S-15 Build - Las Vegas Style

Hello all, I am new to the Skua world and looking forward to slope/ds my new S-15. I had to get one after seeing Seeker turning laps at Lake Mead jetty in the 105-130mph range. I really enjoyed seeking it on the slope, talk about energy retention and banging turns. My only DS experience has been mainly with a JW60, turned 105 mph at the Jetty. I have had some better laps in the mountains just outside of Las Vegas, no radar gun at the time. I don't have the extra $800-$1300 for a radar gun, instead I paid $50 for a Eagletree Systems V3 airspeed system. I do venture out into some remote locations and sometimes its hard to get someone to climb up some of the mountains with radar gun. Well, here are some of my build picks for a Las Vegas/Desert Skua. The planes in Las Vegas need to be extra tough since landing is usually a "controlled crash" into Desert Lava rock or gravel roads. Start by adding extra cross hatch fiber tape, ultra coat covering and "thinned out goop". Enjoy, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1757.jpg (95.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1732.jpg (93.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1752.jpg (95.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1781.jpg (94.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1807.jpg (99.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-19-2009, 03:43 PM
LVsloper

Default One More Pick -ready to fly

Here is one last pick or two, trimmed and ready to fly. The all up flying weight with the extra taping and goop coating had the Skua at 47 oz... Best, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1809.jpg (95.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1810.jpg (95.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-24-2009, 03:52 PM
LVsloper

Default S-15 Does 160 MPH - measured airspeed

Maiden flight today at Lake Mead overlook, and the Skua flew great. The plane trimmed out fast, had to add down trim from the "reflect" suggestion in the instructins. The C.G. was spot on, elevons were almost even with the fixed T.E... Jon (Seeker) showed up to help out and get some stick time since his radio is in the shop. I have not flown at the Lake Mead Overlook before so Jon was a big help in showing me where to launch; how the DS circuit works and the landing technique for this particular location. This location has to be the toughest landing location ever, flying from a tourist parking look overlooking the lake with sheer cliff every where plus two sets of power lines to navigate. Talk about breaking in a new plane and the "new guy"(only DSing 6 months) at one seriously tight location. The winds were between 15-22 mph and smooth, the plane never did anthing crazy. Jon McConnaughey turned in a 160 mph measured airspeed as indicated by the Eagletree systems V3 stand alone system. My best measure run was 128 mph, the system only measures the highest speed after each turnng off and on for your recievers power. Jon and I estimated the ground speed would have been around 142 and 110 respectively. I had some better laps(120-130mph) when Jon and me were switching off on flying, mostly me handing it off to Jon so I would calm my nerves. The front side dives turning in a respectable 102mph, not bad considering it was only a light wind day. I did hit a power line when trying to make a landing,the Skua did a back flip and continued to fly towards me. I was able to land safely and avoid hitting any body or vehicles. The Airspeed pilot tube was bent from catching the power line, have to order a replacement asap. Next stop, Weldon. Best, Mike Dantonio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB230043.jpg (94.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-25-2009, 02:23 AM
LVsloper

Default Lake Mead Overlook Vid

Here is acouple of Vids: Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5BG1sAFClU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmMWAcR4Y-Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5XZSZr-J_U

Last edited by LVsloper; 11-25-2009 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:53 AM
LVsloper

Default Carbon fins for the Skua

I replaced the stock fins with carbon fins last week, too much flutter at 130 mph. I have not flown it with the new fins yet, I'll let you know how they work out. Best, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1852.jpg (103.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1860.jpg (87.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-16-2010, 12:59 AM
LVsloper

Default Skua DSing Weldon,Ca

Here is a vid of the S-15 going good at Weldon,Ca. in Feb. 2010. IMO, the S15 is going about 120mph in the vid, no radar available at this time. Enjoy, Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlBTT4aYn18
Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to admin Send a message via Skype™ to admin
Default DS

Well done LV sloper
Good Video.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Default Carbon Fins

Did the carbon fins work ok?
How much did they cost to make?
Would you make me some?
Old 06-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Lv Sloper can you contact me please as the system seems to have deleted you.