Wowings  

Go Back   Wowings > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 08-26-2009, 01:35 PM
hdmcgatha

Default First build booby

Well I got my order in for the booby (X2). This will be my first build. I will be posting photos and asking a lot of questions of you guys. I am looking forward to your advice. I am really pacing the floor waiting to get it and get started.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:35 PM

Good on you Dan,
I'm sure you'll love it.
I had a difficult time building and maidening mine, maybe you could learn from my experiences by having a read of this.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255262

Last edited by TSnake; 12-18-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:45 AM
hdmcgatha

Mr. TSnake, Thanks for the link it is a good read and I will be reading it a lot. I have not heard from Peter yet so I am hoping he gets the order out. I think he may be busy and not have time to reply. So I will keep walking the floors and waiting on the mail...hehehe I can't wait to get started.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:11 PM
hdmcgatha

Default update

I did receive a nice mail from Peter. It seems he is away for a bit but things are rolling along. I am looking forward to his return home and getting this build started. In the meantime, what do you think about airbrushing the wing? How would I prep for this? Would it add to much weight? I do not want to use tape or film. I would like to prep it if needed and take it to an airbrush shop for graphics.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:52 PM

There's no problem airbrushing the EPP, EPP loves paint.

However when you finish building the model it's going to have strips of fibre reinforced cross weave tape all over it, and that stuff doesn't take paint very well at all.

Weight won't be an issue.

If you really want intricate and spectacular graphics, maybe you could look into covering the wing with white Monokote or something similar, then get it painted.
I've never done this myself, but remember reading about in on RC Groups.
Maybe someone else could suggest a better film or a better technique ?

Last edited by TSnake; 12-18-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:22 PM
hdmcgatha

Mr.TSnake, I may have to use Monokote or something similar if I can not figure this out. I wonder if there is a water based primer that will stick to the tape. Maybe its a matter of washing and sanding the tape back also. I am not sure but I have been looking for answers. What do you think about several layers of 3M77 sprayed from .75 - 1M above the EPP then a few coats of primer?